Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Twitter
Looking for a Minecraft Server? Play on ours today!
play.mineboard.org

Minecraft is dying

HaroldHarold Management
edited November 2013 in Minecraft
So yeah, Minecraft is dying.
I've lost interest in it, most people I know have lost interest in it, and there's a few other things going on as well that prove Minecraft is dying.

First, the MC login servers have been having problems for the past few days. They show them as working properly, but Mojang doesn't care. They're definitely not working.

Second, Bukkit, the popular server plugin framework, hasn't been updated since 1.6.x, because the 1.7.2 MC update rewrote netcode and the sound engine, so every single plugin and mod out there is screwed. Also, that API that was promised in beta 1.8 (2 years ago) is still not here.

So yeah. I don't know what we're going to do with MineBoard now, but MC is dying, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Comments

• ChaosChaos Management
    Minecraft મારા હીરો તલવાર ની પકડમાંથી પર મૃત્યુ પામે છે!
  • Maybe we can change it to match something else, maybe a different game or something.
  • HaroldHarold Management
    My idea is eventually to make this a forum about voxel building games in general, but that's going to be in the far future at this point. Really just waiting on some forum software to become more usable.
  • ChaosChaos Management
    I'll design us a custom forum software, sound good?
    It'll be called KoltonBB and be full of backdoors though :/
  • Sounds good enough. I know nothing of this stuff as of now...
  • ChaosChaos Management
    KoltonBB More like kBulletin :D or IPK, phpKT

Any echo ;

Only 10 backdoors this time. I promise.
  • Minecraft isn't dying, and I have so many reasons for saying this I don't know where to start.

1. Updates are regular, and the Bukkit dev team is up to date with the latest stable release of Minecraft!

2. The community is still going strong! Even with a massive code rewrite in 1.7, MCP is updated and supported.

3. The API is still in development. Nobody would like it if they released a half-baked API just to release it.
    1. Finally.

2. Yep, community is strong, but quality has gone way down.

3. Sure is taking a long time though :P
  • 1. Finally.

1. It's been out for ages, it just wasn't the stable release

2. I wouldn't say that. Take Minecon 2013 for example! Bigger then any of the others by ton, and they still sold out faster then it takes me to eat my lunch. Also the community is waaaaaaaay better then games like gmod... I'm sorry it's just the truth gmod fans.

3. Can't argue that logic, but over all developement of Minecraft is faster then any other game I've played.
    edited April 2014
    1. Finally.

2. I wouldn't say that. Take Minecon 2013 for example! Bigger then any of the others by ton, and they still sold out faster then it takes me to eat my lunch. Also the community is waaaaaaaay better then games like gmod... I'm sorry it's just the truth gmod fans.

3. Can't argue that logic, but over all developement of Minecraft is faster then any other game I've played.
    1. Wasn't available during the beginning of last month.

2. The official forums and the subreddit are a cesspool. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and 8 year olds. Community gatherings? Those are good, because the only people who can afford it are usually mature adults.

3. I don't like the way it works right now, with a focus on new items and not important things like server memory usage :P
  • 1. Finally.

1. Wasn't available during the beginning of last month.

2. The official forums and the subreddit are a cesspool. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and 8 year olds. Community gatherings? Those are good, because the only people who can afford it are usually mature adults.

3. I don't like the way it works right now, with a focus on new items and not important things like
    I think we've come to an agreement. It does seem like your beef is with the community more then the game itself, though maybe I misinterpreted your message. At least when you talk about Bukkit and 8 Year olds.

To summarize, Minecraft isn't dying, and isn't showing signs of dying, at least in the eyes of the better part of the 20k+ people I played with the other day on Mineplex.
    I guess we can boil it down to that the quality of the people playing has greatly diminished since the beta era and since Jeb and Dinnerbone started working on it, and bukkit was behind for a long time.
  • ChaosChaos Management
    I'd also like to point out the updates haven't been very good quality, at least in my opinion. Minecraft has gotten pretty stale. :L
  • I'd also like to point out the updates haven't been very good quality, at least in my opinion. Minecraft has gotten pretty stale. :L
    Name changing support? New biomes? New blocks? Huge commands improvements?
    I'm sorry but I really couldn't disagree more there. 1.5 and 1.6? No big deal imo, but 1.7 and 1.8 have been amazing!
  • ChaosChaos Management
    I'd also like to point out the updates haven't been very good quality, at least in my opinion. Minecraft has gotten pretty stale. :L
    I'm sorry but I really couldn't disagree more there. 1.5 and 1.6? No big deal imo, but 1.7 and 1.8 have been amazing!
    Perhaps I'm just worn out as I've been playing it since Beta was first released. I'm not quite sure what I need to get me back into it, but I feel as if it comes in the forum of new mobs similar to Zombies/Skeletons in that they are pretty common.

I do miss my old multiplayer world my friends and I played on. I'd play that in a heart beat. :(
    Name changing support?
    What do you mean by "Name changing support"?
  • MCminer2011MCminer2011 Moderators
    He means changing your username for your account. you'd likely have to log in under the new name though.
    Well I don't see an option to do that, and I log in with my email anyway. I would like to change my character's name.
  • I'd also like to point out the updates haven't been very good quality, at least in my opinion. Minecraft has gotten pretty stale. :L
    Perhaps I'm just worn out as I've been playing it since Beta was first released. I'm not quite sure what I need to get me back into it, but I feel as if it comes in the forum of new mobs similar to Zombies/Skeletons in that they are pretty common.

I do miss my old multiplayer world my friends and I played on. I'd play that in a heart beat. :(
    Maybe Minecraft just isn't your thing anymore. Go play some Attack of the B-Team If you want something new though. Still, just because you're bored with something doesn't mean it's bad. I put almost 300 hours on game called Dungeon Defenders, but got bored with it after I got as good as you can pretty much get and beat all the levels and DLC's. That doesn't mean I would say it's dying, I just got all I could out of it.
    Well I don't see an option to do that, and I log in with my email anyway. I would like to change my character's name.
    It isn't possible yet, even though it's supported now, Mojang is trying to figure out the best way to implement it so that people won't run around changing their names all the time to troll people. Originally was like "Yeah, check back in two years" but now the unique ID system is already implemented, so apparently they were quietly working on it.
    I think I finally have an idea for how Mojang could implement the name system without having the whole players trolling others idea.

I'm thinking that they could set a minimum time for which name changes can take place. For example, when a player changes their name once, they'll have to wait two or three months minimum to change it again. It'll be the same with new players as their registering will count as a name change.

Players who've been on since before the name change update can change their names immediately, but will have to wait after the change. Sound like a good idea?
    That's probably their only option besides only allowing one name change per account.
    Most likely. Anyway, how've you been lately?