Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Twitter
Looking for a Minecraft Server? Play on ours today!
play.mineboard.org

Mojang cracking down on servers that accept payments for perks

HaroldHarold Management
edited June 2014 in Minecraft
Interesting read: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/06/mojang-hints-at-crackdown-on-pay-for-perk-minecraft-servers/

Basically means you can accept money from your players on your server, but you can't give them stuff on your server in return. I don't see this working out very well for Mojang, there's shit tons of servers that do that out there and sending lawyers at all of them is going to cost a shit ton of money, not to mention there will be those that the lawyers just can't touch.

Comments

• ChaosChaos Management
    This is just such a pitiful and sad idea. I'm tempted to make a server just to break this stupid rule. Mojang is going to crap.
  • HaroldHarold Management
    Yep, and even Notch agrees with that garbage.
  • ChaosChaos Management
    Well, Minecraft at this point is just delving into the trash.
    Agreed, and it has been since it left beta.
  • AustinAustin Members
    Well this has been in the EULA for a long time, it's just now being acknowledged. For what reason I don't know, but I find it annoying.
  • ChaosChaos Management
    If the server owners are PAYING to host the server then they should be able to do whatever they want.. Plus, how will Mojang even enforce this? Sure they could trace certain plugins. But, if a user was to donate and then the admin happened to give that user special privileges, I don't see how that would even be detected.

Mojang made enough money off of our dollars, now they try to take away a small method of our ability to make money. Absolutely pitiful tbh...
    There's some speculation that things that don't help you in the game such as badges may be fine as a reward or acknowledgement of donations, but either way Mojang cracking down about this stuff after so long is still dumb.
  • ChaosChaos Management
    I heard it's coming in the next update, so pretty much get ready - all because some parents can't control their kids spending habits and instead complain to Mojang.
    I think it's been in the EULA for a while but they never mentioned that server perks were part of that. But yeah it does seem that way.
  • ChaosChaos Management
    Disgusting....
    It is, but I can see why they're doing it, while also hating them for it at the same time. Can't believe Notch agreed with it too, but his tweets confirmed it.
  • This can be interesting, i can't see how they will enforce this!
  • ChaosChaos Management
    It is official now, they don't allow it. They don't want the experience to be "unfair".

Then WHAT IS CREATIVE MODE!?
  • MCminer2011MCminer2011 Moderators
    Great, looks like MCbestcraft is off my list for good... Wait, doesn't Mineswede do the same thing? Or am I thinking of something else?
    And, Luke... Creative Mode is a SSP/SMP game mode only accessible on servers by moderators and administrators.

Meaning now, only mods and admins have all the power now and server members can no longer access certain abilities like Flying, Grief Prevention(to a higher degree), and some others. Not only that, but a lot of servers RUN off that money! And most won't survive on just donations.
    I hate it when people buy their way into stupid crap like creative mode in Minecrap anyway, takes the fun out of the game.
    I never even use it anyway, so that makes the game more challenging, but fun. I just hate it when people take advantage of creative or flying in pvp combat as cheating.
  • Mineswede does have VIP. Its meens that player gets more homes, can navigate with compass, keeping inv upon death, Auto-repairs tools. Nothing else. This is nothing popular rank. But for someone thats wants a more casual playtime they can choose to donate.

But never can does players that donates use these perks in like PVP when we had a pvp world.

We dont live on donations. Never has, never will! :)

Often is it a price in different competitions.

But if Mojang would tell me to stop i would. Because isnt so big part of Mineswede!
    I hope a lot of servers continue to do the perks for cash thing, just to rebel against Mojang and force them to send emails and lawyers after everyone. Then they'd run out of money and go bankrupt, which considering the quality of the games and the Minecraft updates they've been producing lately, that would be a good thing.
  • ChaosChaos Management
    I agree with Luke, they shouldn't be trying to restrict us like that.
    Agreed.

Also, Manio, hate to insult you but your grammar isn't really that good. It needs a bit of work. I wish not to put you down, but to help you become a better person. Just constructive criticism.
  • Agreed.

Also, Manio, hate to insult you but your grammar isn't really that good. It needs a bit of work. I wish not to put you down, but to help you become a better person. Just constructive criticism.

It´s okey if you do, I can speak the language but the writing is not on the same level.

But hey, as long that you guys understand me! :) Chrischiam, she is a member on Mineswede. She correct me sometimes.

The problem is that i dont use english on a daily basis. Except when im on Mineswede.

But now i feel we got off topic. :)
  • ChaosChaos Management
    edited June 2014
    Back on topic then ;)

I hope Mineswede and other servers contest what Mojang is doing because it just isn't right tbh. Servers should be able to make money and definitely with no question be able to reinvest it into the server. The costs of running a good quality server are high, but the rewards of playing in a tight niche and fun community are bountiful.

Mojang should stop worrying about money, they have enough.
    Honestly, running servers with pay-for-perks systems doesn't affect Mojang even remotely, really. This is overreaching their bounds and can also be called tyranny.
    Exactly! Why wreck a good community with tyranny when it only helped you in the end. This is going to kill Mojang in the long run. I say we protest it. Go on a hunger strike or something.