Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Twitter
Looking for a Minecraft Server? Play on ours today!
play.mineboard.org

Starbound - Big Birds!

ChaosChaos Management
http://playstarbound.com/july-11-big-birds/

Starbound has added some Big Birds/Monsters which are much stronger than their smaller variants. And now they are making it so similar monster "designs" relate to each other in certain way, and sizes are more advanced versions of their smaller counterparts. So they are trying to advance monsters by scaling them up in size.

Interesting update, not sure how I feel about "big monsters are worse monsters". I feel like if they took the game and made different monsters per planet/biome they could've done much better. And then they could've made smaller monsters that you can barely see that do a lot of damage to scare you off of a planet until you get better tech. Or like a "burying" monster that can attack you while buried (but maybe shows a little protrusion from the sand or whatever to signify where it is). They could've made a BUNCH of really cool monster types/abilities, but they chose bigger = better.

Opinions?

Comments

• HaroldHarold Management
    edited July 2014
    It looks like the big ones are definitely different from the little ones, as they said "large monster variants" and "little monster variants".

Even if they were just scaled up, it's a procedurally-generated sandbox game. Give them a break. At least they're not just throwing 3 major kinds at you all the time like Minecraft.
  • ChaosChaos Management
    Well I suppose that's true. I mean they do have variety unlike Minecraft, but I feel like they could make some really cool monsters too.
    But they do have some really cool monsters.
  • ChaosChaos Management
    True, it's not a horrible game. I just figured they could have some really awesome ideas. Are you able to customize ships yet?
    I'm not sure, I haven't gotten around to trying to do that yet. I do remember you could tear down the background panels and lights and stuff, and build inside your ship, so there's that.

I think their plan for Starbound ships was to get them upgraded somehow. But I believe you can mod your own ship in, I'm not sure how you do that though.
  • ChaosChaos Management
    I've modded my own ship in before but it's really buggy.